Mig Mike, gimme a draft.



Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Robert Gardner painting and artists' sites

I've been kind of half-assed working on some pages for some of my artist friends, like Dana Smith, Aletha Jolivette, and Robert Gardner. I haven't gotten very far on them so far, but then again, no one has sent me any photos yet (damned artists), so I don't feel too bad. I did however take some photos of one of Robert's paintings which I have in storage. I ask you this: how many people have a larger than lifesize painting of themselves in a smoking jacket, ascot, and masonic fez leaning on the very same fireplace that the painting is hanging over? Probably not many. Here are a couple of photos of it. You can't really get a feel for the size of it from the pictures, but it's about 5 feet tall.





Here's a shot of it in it's natural habitat at the 8th Street house. When we took the photo that he used to paint it, I was leaning on this fireplace, so the objects next to the fireplace are in the painting as well, down to the victrola and the individual old bottles in the dynamite case on the wall. By the time the photo was taken though, the books in the painting had been replaced by Copes's "Homiez" collection.



Now, here's a shitty comic I made using the painting and a photo of Jon from the LHS yearbook. Because let me tell you, if there's one thing that the internet needs, it's another stupid web comic. Now take my blog pleaze!! Waka waka.

While I'm at it, here are a few more links to Lafayette artists. Herb Roe has a bunch of his stuff up and is almost finished with his graphic novel, Black Sun. He also has some more stuff here. Herb and Dana both used to work for Robert Dafford who does murals all over the US and the world. Bruce Odell is a world champion potter who has a studio on Garfield St. Amazing stuff. And of course, there are sites for George Rodrigue, Francis Pavy, and Floyd Sonnier. RIP, Floyd. Also, this studio open house event in November looks interesting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm at a loss for words, ah, wait minute, here's a few, Who are you? I'm assuming I met you at the metropolis and just haven't remembered who you are yet. Anyway, i have some old slides of the mural upstairs at the metropolis, the freaky jesus thing, somewhere, If I find'em I'll send ya' something.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Great Boudenny said...

I may have met you at metropolis back in the day, but I'm pretty sure I met you at least once with Dana somewhere I think. I used to live on 8th Street with the Urbosleeks and we used to have pretty big Halloween parties. Maybe it was there. Jenkins told me about your site, the graphic novel looks like it will be cool. Anything you find related to the old scene would definitely be cool.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home