Mig Mike, gimme a draft.



Sunday, March 26, 2006

Pink Panther skatepark



I found this Pigmy Skates page with some nice photos from the abandoned (and now destroyed) Pink Panther skatepark outside of Slidell. The Pink Panther was a 1970's era concrete skatepark located off of I-12 at the Pink Panther trailer park. I was lucky enough to go skate it once with Mike Smiley in the mid 90's. It was abandoned then, and we eventually got chased off by a sheriff. It has since been bulldozed. Anyway, it featured lots of banks, a snakerun that emptied into a bowl (that was full of water), a snakerun with a huge transitional wall, and some volcano / hip type things. Check out the Pigmy Skates page for a lot more photos of the park.



Here are a few shots of Mr. Smiling Michael at the Pink Panther. Hopefully, someday photos of the park when it was actually open in the 70's will surface.




Pigmy Skates also has a page on Houma's Paisley Fart Ditch, which was apparently the equivalent of Lafayette's Greenbriar Ditch. That is, a ditch that was fairly lame, but since it was the only one around, everyone still went there to skate it all the time.



I remember when we used to skate that little stupid Hub City Ford ditch or that one in between the two sides of the Thruway... then I took a roadtrip out to Albuquerque and skated the ditches out there. They were like works of art, perfectly transitional, hips, spines, roll-ins, you name it. Lafayette ditches were never the same again. Speaking of Greenbriar, here's a photo that I got from Beth Blackburn of Jerry Guillory standing in the middle of Greenbriar Ditch.



Also, here's one of somebody skating the Catfish Banks in Baton Rouge that I found somewhere. Damn, I miss that place.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somewhere. . . in the depths of my junk. . . I have pics of R.O.T. at the Pink Panther. . . we used to hit it. . . about 6:30am. . . on Sunday mornings. . . coming back from playing Pensacola. . . with Maggot Sandwich. . . it was me, Chachi and Chris Vanway. . . also I have pics of George Brown at the Chicken Banks . . . when I find 'em. . .I'll flow 'em to ya. . .

5:28 AM  
Blogger Great Boudenny said...

That would definitely be cool. I still need to go see the chicken banks.

Speaking of Maggot Sandwich, I was just checking out Immaculate Deception with Vik Kaos. Those definitely look like some interesting shows: http://www.immaculatedeception.org/photo%20gallery.htm

11:39 AM  
Blogger grimcity said...

I know this is an old blog post, but tanks for uploading the Pink Panther photos... when I was a kid we used to go there at least twice a month (from the late 80's to mid 90's) and sometimes get a full day's session, or get run off by the cops or the people that owned the trailer park. The snakerun was classic, but the doughnut/volcano combo thing was brilliant... wish we had something like that here in Hammond!

Also, the Cat Banks are better than ever- same hips, but there are some really fun DIY obstacles there now as well.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous hau69@yahoo.com said...

I use to skate there in the late 70's. I'm looking for pic's

8:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown Soldier said...

My younger brother, cousin, and me cut the barbed wire down in the middle of the night officially reopening this park back in the early 90's

11:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown Soldier said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I skated this park from the first day it opened. The snake for the bowl was too tight. You would start mid way. And still have enough speed to grab a front side then back across the coping for a rail slide. I skated every day for 15 years and was pretty good at one point...its defined the 80s fir sure...

6:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If anybody has pictures Arthur Thompson or Mark Massett Blaze post or email thank you so much it would have been between 80 and 83 or 82

3:13 AM  
Blogger MIchele L said...

I used to live there in the 90s, I remember that park, I also got into trouble with the new owners LOL

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home