Mig Mike, gimme a draft.



Sunday, March 12, 2006

Bobbo


I found a couple of references to a Baton Rouge band called Bobbo. Apparently they were circa 1984ish. Anybody ever heard of them? One of the members was Tim Prudhomme, who is now on Smells Like Records, which is Steve Shelley's label (Sonic Youth's drummer.) Anyway, there's a brief mention in this interview and quite a bit of info in this Gambit article. They sound like they're worth checking out. I would have thought being from B.R. they would have mentioned The Zoomers, Shitdogs, US Times, etc. They sound like they were more new wave than punk maybe. I did find the reference about The Replacements playing in Lafayette interesting. Where and when was that? Jenkins, Chris, Mcbane, school me please.

There is also mention of several other B.R. bands on this Cap'n Ken post about Dash Rip Rock, namely The Times, Harry Dog and The Fleas, The Shitdogs, Bobbo, Scooter and The Mopeds, and The Human Rayz. Anybody ever heard of Scooter and the Mopeds or Harry Dog and the Fleas? I need to be more proactive trying to find this stuff out.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jefferson Street Cafe was the place. It later became Boadi's /the Bayou. By all accounts, the owner of the joint thought the Replacements sucked and wasn't afraid to say so. Paul Westerberg jumped down from the stage and quickly got an ass whupin. The set lasted for all of 15 minutes.Boudini, that reminds me of a Thinking Fellers show in the same room some years later.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Great Boudenny said...

That's true. Douche face Boadi wasn't a fan of those boys was he...

7:14 PM  
Blogger Great Boudenny said...

However, I think Terry from The Bayou may have neutralized that place's negative karma when he didn't give a shit about David Yow spreading his butthole for the crowd a few years later though.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Great Boudenny said...

Maybe it was Terry... I was thinking it was Boadi, because it seems like I remember him wanting to kick Jon's ass over it? My mind seems to be getting more mushy with time. (I blame the Schlitz Malt Liquor.) Either way, I guess it was a serious case of foreshadowing.

Let's see: 1. Jefferson Street Cafe 2. Boadi's 3. The Bayou 4. a lesbian bar (forgot the name) 5. another gay/lesbian bar 6. Sound Factory
I think we can safely say that Terry definitely got that venue to come out of the closet. Can you really blame it though? Six months with Terry...

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between the Bayou and Sound Factory was Rapture. That incarnation was host to Jon Spencer and this other crappy band called Piss Factory. A fitting name, possibly an omen of what was to be.

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont remember these guys, but it sounds right up my alley; any chance of their stuff being released of availible for download?http://blog.myspace.com/barrygoubler

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home